Welcome back to the Charles Wood & Son Moving & Storage weekly blog update, where we discuss all things home and moving. To continue with our theme from last week: National Earth Month, today we thought we would talk about sustainability within the home. There are many ways that Long Island movers can be conscious of the environment within their homes, without needing to change lifestyles. We will mention a few of them for you, to get the conversation started.
1. Start a compost – If you have a yard, start a pile back away from the house. You can keep a container with a lid in your kitchen and put any compostable material into it (fruit/vegetable matter, egg shells, leftover grains – anything except meat and processed foods). If you don’t have a yard, find somebody local with a garden or a farm that you can bring your material to once a week. Composted material is great for a garden, and great for the earth!
2. Be conscious of paper/plastic bags – Reuse paper and stay away from plastic! Plastic is harmful to the environment and does not decompose. You can also buy a reusable bag in the grocery store, which you can use each time you go shopping.
3. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs – they screw into the typical light bulb socket, but use far less electricity. You won’t need to change them as often!
4. Install a solar water-heater – It is both energy effective and cost effective!
5. Recycle! – Separate your recyclables from your garbage. If you don’t get recycling picked up regularly, set a goal to drop off your cans and boxes a couple of times a month to a local recycling center. It makes a difference!
There are many other ways to take steps towards living a more environmentally friendly life. Do some of your own research if you’re interested! Conducting sustainable projects is a great way to get the whole family involved, and make your home a better place to live.
Happy Earth Month!
Charles Wood & Son Moving & Storage, Your Trusted Long Island Movers